Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Italian Sausage with Fennel and Grapes


I love sausage! One of my favorite meals is acorn squash stuffed with sausage and pineapple. When I discovered another sausage and fruit pairing – sausage with grapes – I had to try it. This recipe pairs sausage with grapes, onions and fennel. My local supermarket didn’t have fennel, but I am lucky enough to live across the street from Whole Foods and they have everything. If you can’t find fennel, celery can be substituted.

This recipe is adapted from The Earthbound Cook by Myra Goodman, a meaty cookbook my vegan sister liked enough to give me for my birthday.

Italian Sausage with Fennel and Grapes

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 pound Italian sausage (I used Bob Evans)
1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 large onion
1 large bulb fennel
5 crushed garlic gloves
2 cups red grapes

Steps

1. Chop fennel into 1/8 inch size pieces. Also chop onion into ¼ thick slices.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add sausage and brown.

4. Transfer the sausage to a plate lined with a paper towel.

5. Place balsamic vinegar in a large bowl. Add onion, fennel and garlic. Toss to coat.

6. Add grapes to the onion mix, toss to coat.

7. Transfer mixture into large pot, cook over medium heat stirring frequently.

8. When the onion and fennel soften, add the sausage back in the pot.

9. Transfer the pot into the oven and roast for 40 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment