Sunday, March 17, 2013

Corned Beef Dinner



My mom would make corned beef with cabbage on St. Patrick ’s Day and I always looked forward to it. This year I made it myself and couldn’t believe how simple it was! I started with a 2.5lb piece of meat in my 3.5 qt slow cooker. It was a tight fit at first, but the meat shrinks and it turned out perfectly. The recipe called for four servings, but I think it could stretch to six with all the leftovers I have!

Ingredients
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 4 small carrots, cut into chunks
  • 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (about 2 pounds)
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 1/2 t grated orange peel
  • 1/2 t mustard
  • 2 cabbage wedges
Directions
  • Chop onions, potatoes and carrots. Place in a 3qt or larger slow cooker.
  • In a medium bowl, grate the orange peel and whisk with apple juice, cloves, brown sugar, mustard and contents of spice packet.
  • Place the brisket in slow cooker on top of veggies. Pour the juice over it and cook on high for 4 hours.
  • Chop the cabbage into bite-size pieces and add to slow cooker for 30 minutes.
  • Set the slow cooker to warm until you are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment