Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Peas and Carrot Soup with Dumplings


On Sunday night I served peas and carrot soup with dumplings for dinner, and I know it was filling because my boyfriend didn’t ask where the meat was.

Now dumplings is a bit of a misnomer in this case, because the dumplings were just balls of buttermilk biscuit batter, but when you add them to the soup they get soft on the outside and stay flaky on the inside, deliciously satisfying.

I served roasted red skin potatoes on the side, which were also amazing.

Peas and Carrot Soup with Dumplings

Ingredients

2 T olive oil

3 T butter

4 sliced carrots

2 ribs celery

1 onion

2 T flour

4 cups vegetable or chicken stock

1 T mustard

1 cup frozen peas

2 T parsley

Biscuit mix

Steps

1. Slice the carrots, celery and onion.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the butter.

3. When the butter melts, add carrots, celery, onion, peas and mustard. Cover and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. It will smell so good!

4. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with flour. Stir for 1 minute.

5. Add chicken or vegetable stock.

6. Prepare biscuit dough (I used the just add water mix) and combine with parsley. Form the batter into small balls and drop into soup.

7. Cover the pot and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until dumplings are firm.

Here are my steps for the potatoes on the side:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Slice 2 1bs potatoes.

3. Arrange potatoes on a greased pan.

4. Pour ¼ cup olive oil over the potatoes, season with Italian seasoning and pepper.

5. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.

The soup recipe is adapted from Rachael Ray in Everyday Living. The potatoes are vegan and the soup is vegetarian. I did not end up with any leftover potatoes, but I did heat up leftover soup the next day. The dumplings stay surprisingly flaky even in the microwave, but reheating did not go so well and I burnt my tongue. I would recommend using the stove top if you have time!

No comments:

Post a Comment